Posted by the Mom (aka Kelly Biedny)
Picnic food is what’s popular for the 4th of July holiday…particularly food that is red, white and blue in color. This fresh salsa served with blue corn chips fits the bill perfectly.
What is your favorite
4th of July recipe?
Let us know with a Comment!
I am a huge fan of fresh salsa, especially when tomatoes are in season here in Minnesota. Although it’s still a bit early for that, the tomatoes at the grocery store work, too. Along a few other simple ingredients we had to make sure we got some ‘white’ into our red, white and blue snack. For that we added chunks of fresh mozzarella. I think the addition of the mozzarella is what drew Sophia into tasting it. As we were making it she was determined she wouldn’t like it, but, as I pointed out the fact that she liked all the stuff we were putting in it, she decided to give it a try. Then she proceeded to eat 1/2 of it :D. Alex doesn’t eat fresh tomatoes, so he only had a bite :(.
Your kids might love salsa, but even if they’re as crazy as mine with food tasting, I know they’ll have fun helping make it. Plus, who can resist a red, white and blue food during the 4th of July season! ;D
Enjoy the recipe and Happy Family Cooking Everyone!
Kids Cooking Recipe: Red & White Salsa with Blue Chips
- 3 Tomatoes, chopped
- 1/8 to 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup fresh mozzarella, cubed
- blue corn chips
- Older kids can help chop up all the ingredients for prep.
- Once the veggies and cheese are prepped, kids of any age can help measure and mix the ingredients together.
- It's best to let it sit in the fridge for about an hour, but not necessary.
- After the flavors have blended in the fridge, serve your red and white salsa with some blue chips!
All Rights Reserved. Two Kids Cooking & More