Posted by the Mom (aka Kelly Biedny)
It’s that turkey time of year again, and that means turkey recipes! Now, this recipe does not actually contain any turkey…it just looks like one! It’s a really simple recipe that’s great for kids of all ages.
Happy Thanksgiving Cooking Everyone!
Kids Cooking Recipe: Turkey Free Turkey Sandwich (Turkey Shaped Cheese Sandwich)
- Cheddar Cheese
- Chedder-Jack Cheese (or any marbled cheese)
- Monterrey Jack Cheese
- Green Olive
- Sandwich Rounds (We used Country Hearth Slender Rounds)
Prepare your ingredients by (This prep is best done by older kids with good knife skills):
- Slicing each of the cheeses up into thin pieces
- Removing the pimiento from the olive and cutting to smaller sizes
- Cutting small olive pieces for eyes
- Cutting larger rounds for the turkey body and smaller rounds for the head (we used caps from two different vitamin jars, but round cookie cutters work too.)
- cutting a 'beak' size piece of cheddar cheese.
Put your sandwich together (Kids of all ages 5 and up will love this part):
- Split your sandwich round in half.
- Add mayonnaise to each half (this is optional if you don't like mayo, butter also works)
- Have the kids place the 'turkey feather' slices of cheese in a pattern on their sandwich round.
- Next, take one of the large rounds of cheddar and one of the smaller rounds and place them on the lower portion of the 'feathers' for the turkey body and head as shown:
- Once you've got the body together, make your turkey's face with olives and the pimiento.
- That's it, all that's left is to enjoy eating!
All Rights Reserved. Two Kids Cooking & More