Whether you’re looking for a healthy breakfast substitute or nutritious tasty treat, a homemade smoothie will fill you up and enrich your mind and body. Satiate your need for natural sweetness and nutrition by blending any of the following smoothie recipes.
Maca Moxie Smoothie
Take a break from your egg white omelet or steel cut oatmeal breakfast, and treat yourself to the nutrient-rich Maca Moxie Smoothie. This health concoction will provide you with that boost of energy for your morning run or stress tolerance for a busy Monday. Dried maca, the smoothie’s main ingredient, is a root vegetable "high in protein, unsaturated fatty acids, amino acids, vitamin C, potassium, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, zinc and plant sterols," highlights MindBodyGreen.
Give that blender some love and mix one tablespoon each of psyllium husk, cocoa powder, and ground chia seed. Then add one teaspoon maca powder, one small sliced and frozen banana, three iced cubes, and 12 ounces of unsweetened almond milk. With each sip you’ll be more eager to tackle your day while enhancing your body with antioxidants and fiber.
Anti-Aging Strawberry Smoothie
A fountain of youth may just be fantasy, but a delicious fruit smoothie with anti-aging ingredients is reality. Indulge in A Harmony Healing’s detoxing Anti-Aging Strawberry Smoothie and turn the clock back on the aging process. The nutrient-packed green smoothie will not only help preserve your youthfulness, it jump starts your energy levels.
In a single smoothie drink, you’ll help cleanse your body with the following nutrients:
- Strawberries (2 cups): Full of antioxidants, Vitamin C and fiber. Vitamin C protects from cell damage and inflammation, prevents premature aging and replenishes the skin.
- Cucumbers (1 cucumber chopped in chunks): As a water-rich vegetable, cucumbers hydrate and enrich the body with Vitamin C and B vitamins. It’s full of chlorophyll and silicon, which promotes supple skin. Silicon also helps skin, hair and nails from aging.
- Coconut Water (3 cups, unsweetened): Coconut water is loaded with replenishing and hydrating electrolytes, including calcium, magnesium and potassium. The refreshing beverage also helps prevent aging because it contains antioxidants, amino acids, enzymes, and B vitamins. (You’ll also blend 1/2 cupsb preservative-free coconut milk).
- Spinach (3 cups): Rich with chlorophyll and the oxygen-carrying mineral iron, spinach is a nutrient that promotes healthy circulation and skin.
- Chia Seeds (2 tablespoons): A superfood, these seeds are practically jam-packed with every nutrient imaginable, including protein, amino acids, calcium, and Omega-3 fatty acids. Expect hydration, inflammation reduction and glowing skin.
This mood-enhancing and smile-brightening smoothie combats negative feelings, such as anxiety, depression and stress. If you can just tell it’s going to be one of those days the moment you wake up, break out the blender. Veggieful.com’s Vegan Happy Smoothie recipe creates positivity with the following ingredients:
- Banana: A banana contains Vitamin B6, which aids the conversion of protein tryptophan into serotonin — the happy hormone.
- Uncooked Rolled Oats (1/4 cup): As high fiber wholegrains, oats help combat stress and anxiety and increase serotonin levels.
- Frozen Raspberries (1 cup): Rich in antioxidants and Vitamin C, berries help improve moods and aid in the reduction of the stress hormone coritsol.
- Raw Walnuts (1/4 cup): These seeds are full of omega 3 fatty acids that lower blood pressure and risks of depression.
- Soy Milk Lite (1 1/4 cups): Soymilk nutrients Vitamin B1, B2 and D help relieve stress.
Commit to a happy and healthy lifestyle by making fresh fruits and organic vegetables main players in your diet. Nowadays, cable TV offers cooking shows to fit a healthy and nutritious lifestyle. Watch "Healthy Appetite with Ellie Krieger" on Food Network for healthy recipe ideas or "Healthy Flavors" on PBS Food to learn about a balance between food and exercise.
Apps on cell phones and tablets can keep your nutrition in check. Refer to Nutri Facts, for example, to learn about the vitamins and minerals in your smoothie ingredients. Or check out new smoothie and juicing recipes by following wellness activist KrisCarr.com on your tablet.
Tara researches environmental sustainability, DIY home repair and holistic health and wellness practices. She wants her kids to grow up in a safe, beautiful world.