It’s just about time to head back to school, and that means time to get creative with lunchtime and dinner! We like to keep things easy and delicious in the Two Kids family, so here are some exciting lunch ideas. These lunches are for everyone in the family, kids and adults!
- Mini kebabs with veggies like cherry tomatoes and cucumbers, cheese chunks, melon and ham or turkey chunks.
- Italian lunch box with mini mozzarella balls, pepperoni or meatballs, mini pita bread and marinara sauce for dipping.
- Healthy veggie dip (yogurt/avocado based dip) with veggie and cheese dippers.
- Stuff a pita with hummus and fresh veggies and/or chicken or turkey slices. You can add cheese and fresh spinach, too.
- Penne or tortellini pasta tossed with pesto or olive oil and parmesan as a base; add veggies or meat if you like those options.
- Asian style lunchbox with cooked ramen noodles (skip the flavour packet) tossed with sesame oil. Sprinkle on some sesame seeds and add cut up carrot and red bell pepper or meat of your choice.
Those should get you on your way to a healthy back-to-school start! Of course, lunch is half the battle. After a long day at work or school, it is nice to have some dinner ideas that take minimal preparation. Here are a list of ideas that pack a flavourful punch and get everybody involved in the kitchen!
Tacos. This isn’t the first time I’ve mentioned this awesome meal. Tacos are great because there are options for everyone and they take about 30 minutes to prepare…yay!
Pita Pizzas. Pitas are amazing ready-made crusts! Just add marinara or pesto and any toppings that you please. Pop them in the oven until golden or cheese melts.
Coconut Quinoa. Quinoa is fantastic, easy and healthy! Prepare the quinoa with coconut milk and veg or chicken broth instead of water. Toss in some fresh cilantro, red bell pepper and cooked chicken or shrimp. This is great without meat, too!
Grilled Cheese. There are so many additions to a grilled cheese sandwich! Beyond all the different cheese options, you can add tomatoes, roasted red peppers, tuna, avocado, onions, spinach…just look through your pantry and you will find something to add!
And here’s one that I found on Pinterest and it sounds so yummy! I love fish!
Hopefully this will be a helpful tool for meal planning during back-to-school. Anything that saves time and cuts down on stress makes a brighter day.
What’s Your Favorite Cold Lunch?
Happy meal planning to you all!